You’ve got some free time this week.
Why? Because you’re not as busy as you’d like.
What can you do right now that will generate new business for you?
What actions can you take?
Here you go:
- Hang out at the courthouse this afternoon and bump into people. You’ll see people you haven’t seen in months or years. Just wander around and say hello. Talk to the clerks, the judges, and the other lawyers. Meet some new folks and make sure everyone knows who you are, what you do, and that you’re open to taking new clients right now.
- Take someone from the courthouse to lunch. Be there around lunchtime and find someone who looks hungry. Another lawyer would be ideal.
- Call the real estate agent who sold you your house. Take her for coffee. Ask her how you can work together to generate business for one another.
- Get your hair cut. Talk to the hairstylist about referrals. Leave some cards behind. Ask for help. Leave a good tip.
- Write an article for your website about adjusting to life after divorce. Pass along a few lessons you’ve learned from watching your clients go through the process. Go light on the lesson and heavy on telling the story. (Don’t you wish I were telling you a story today?) Then email a link to the article to all of your former clients and those who recently came in for a consultation.
- Write a letter to the editor of your local paper about something in the news. Try to tie it to your practice in some way. I love writing in praise of the police after a well-handled domestic violence episode (and that’s not usually hard to find in the paper).
- Go to a Toastmasters meeting. You’ll meet 15 new people and, if you join, you’ll improve your speaking skills. I’ve never met anyone who couldn’t stand to improve their speaking ability. Have you?
- Take your car to the car wash. You’re driving people to lunch: clean the car and make a good impression. Go to the kind of car wash where you have to wait inside while it runs through the machine. Go when it’s crowded and talk to people in the waiting area. Make sure you tell them what you do. Be prepared with a few good stories about adultery (everyone loves to hear about adultery). Car wash customers always know someone you can help (after all, they have cars, and they can afford to pay someone to wash them).
Will these actions ignite your practice? Will they generate business right now?
Yep. They will. I’m not kidding.
It’s Not Rocket Science
Marketing your business isn’t rocket science. This stuff works. If you’re not busy, it’s likely because you’re sitting in the office, alone, with messy hair and a dirty car.
Get up and get out. The next thing you know, you’ll be too busy to do your marketing (that, of course, is a problem we’ll solve on another day).